Saturday, March 18, 2006

Shawarma Seeking

I'm crazy about Shawarmas. I must have had my first Shawarma some seven years ago, from some restaurant in Karama, for like two dirhams, from a Malayali guy without proper Shawarma-making equipment, but it didn't matter. Since that day I've been eating Shawarmas like Bugs Bunny eats carrots!

After seven years of intense research and even more intense sampling, I know by now some of the best shawarma joints in the city. By now I've come up with a two Shawarma awards- one for the "Best Value" and one for "Simply the Best". My "Best Value" award would go to all of the Malayali restaurants in Bur Dubai selling shawarmas for dhs. 2.50, as I've found thats the best value, cuz despite the price they make it quite well. My "Simply the Best" award would go to Automatic Restaurant, but several other Arabic restaurants are also quite close. They have some special ingredients that make the shawarma taste better. I also know some of the worst Shawarma offerings in the city, like a restaurant which sells shawarmas for three bucks right on the Dragon Castle (now "Musalla Tower") crossing. I don't think the price is justified, but he still gets good business due to the good location.

I've always wondered why the arabs don't start their own chain of shawarma joints, like McDonalds or Burger King. They could call it Shawarma Sheikh. It would definitely be an awesome success. And they could have lot's of neat mascots, you know, Ronald McAhmed...

3 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, Blogger secretdubai said...

The critical thing for me is when they use proper stretchy saj bread. That is a must. That horrible flat, stiff, always-stale-tasting stuff that they serve wrapped in plastic etc makes anything taste foul, even the best schwarma meat and sauce.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Harsha said...

hmm nice concept.. I like it..

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

the best shawarma for me is the one at dubai internet city and the name of the restaurant is seven stones . I almost order 6 times a week from them . You need to try it if you are shawarma lover .

thier number is 04-4494000

 

Post a Comment

<< Home