Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Taxi Experiences

I have had many funny experiences with taxi drivers in Dubai. My mom doesn't drive, so for all school programs we had to use taxis. One experience I remember quite clearly.

I was about eight, and my mom and I were going to the Open House in my school, Indian High (I'm no longer in this school though, and I really don't recommend it). We needed to get my report card and have a chat with my teacher (I was OK at studies at that time so the chat was quite painless).We took a private taxi (there were many at that time). Unfortunately the driver turned out to be a strange one. We told him to go to the Indian High School in Garhoud. He turned up somewhere in the middle of Garhoud filled with schools, but none of them was my school. When we asked him that he had got us in the wrong place, he said (in Hindi, but I've translated)-

"Oh, they're all Indian schools, just go into any."

My mom found that very funny, and started laughing. I don't understand how she could keep her cool, as I was feeling annoyed and we were already late.

That wasn't all. The taxi driver then put all the blame on me and said that I should have known where my school was. Maybe I would have, if he hadn't got us somewhere where I had never been before. And I was only eight, and new to Dubai. After that we spent one hour in the taxi, with the taxi driver keeping up his chant of how useless I was and that I really should have known where the school was. If I had been any older or any smarter I would have told him to shut-up.

Then there was another taxi-driver, who entertained us when we got stuck in traffic on our way to the GITEX Shopper 2004. What amazing Urdu that guy spoke. And just recently we were n our way to Lamcy Plaza, with this driver who tried to impress us with his amazingly accurate knowledge of time-saving wrong-way routes, and his experiences with sympathetic policemen. He did save us quite a lot of time, mind.

Nowadays I usually prefer taking Dubai Taxis. They seem to have the most decent drivers, and they never get us wrong. But one thing is there. All of these taxi-drivers have an amazing sense of dodging jams. They know all kinds of routes, through all kinds of wierd places. And my advice to you is: if your taxi-guy wants to go wrong-way, let him. He'll be invariably saving plenty of your time (and money). Oh yeah, and always confirm that your driver knows the route before climbing in. That's very important.

Do share your taxi experiences too.

1 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger Harsha said...

Oye! My full Khandan has been to that school , khabardaaaar kuch bola toh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home