Thursday, March 09, 2006

Ticket Selling In Dubai

Recently I had to sell some raffle tickets from my school, for some charity drive. Exactly how they never told me, but I assumed that we had to walk door to door, waste our precious time and put up with rude uncharitable people. I'm no salesman, especially the door to door type. I'm into computers and writing, but I can't sell. So I joined up with one of my friends for moral support and set out.

Now the good thing about Dubai is there are plenty of buildings to try, and they aren't very far away from each other. And the area I stayed in was full over Mercedes-owning rich dudeS. I had nine tickets to sell. This is how I did it:

Me (with round innocent looking eyes)- Hello aunty/uncle. We are from ---- school and we are selling these charity raffle tickets. There are many nice prizes you could win like iPods, plasma TVs an'all. Would you like to buy one. It's only Dirhams ten.

I can't write what the person's reaction was as that differed greatly by nationality. This whole raffle-ticket mission was very enlightening as I got a good idea of people's attitude's towards innocent raffle-ticket selling teenagers:

Filipinos: Will here you patiently, appear as if thinking, look very apologetic and then refuse wasting our time and energy.
Indians: Will listen to you impatiently and then quickly buy a ticket, but buy they will.
Europeans: The worst lot. They'll just rudely shut, and many times bang the door on your face for no reason, before you even opened your mouth.

I also developed a good startegy for selling the tickets. The flats with some kind of Hindu signs on their doors, will usually always buy at least one ticket. Hindu signs incude: any kind of shiny stickers with gods printed on them, flowers hanging from the ceiling, 'OM' signs drawn on the door, bells, and other religious embolishments. What I did was go straight to these flats, do bussiness, and try the next floor without even trying the other flats. I mean, what's the point in wasting time?

All in all, this raffle - mission was quite exciting and educational, and I did my bit for the starving children of Africa, but I don't think I'll be selling any more. For those who are reading this, I would sincerely request you to be kind to any children selling raffle tickets at your doorstep, because believe me, they don't get it easy.

3 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger nikki said...

You captured a Filipino attitude very accurately- quite funny really. It's called "kuripot" (miser in English, I think). It's because we're sick of raffle tickets- we get a lot of those in our country. We make an exception if it's a relative selling the tickets, though. And we always try to be polite to everybody.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Harsha said...

Vey nice post Dubaiteen

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of the people always trying to help some charities, according to their status. Buy charity raffle tickets and win nice and interesting prizes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home