Saturday, July 01, 2006

Arabic- Oh what a pain!

I really wish I was born just 3 or 4 years early. That way I wouldn't be studying Arabic now and would have finished it in Grade 8. Now they have made it compulsory 'till Grade 10 and optional 'till Grade 12 (an option not worth taking).

Arabic education is really terrible. It is taught very poorly. Despite learning the subject for 9 years, the taxi drivers can speak better Arabic than us, and they have not gone for Arabic classes at all. Before Grade 9, we used to have 4-5 classes a week for Arabic. This year, we'll have only 2 classes, and more amount of portion to cover. Its been disastrous. Half the class failed. I passed quite miraculously. And its a compulsory subject (you have to pass if you want to go to the next class).

This year, they asked us to write two compositions in the exam- none of which we had learned before. We have never done a composition in Arabic without memorizing it beforehand. They asked us to translate sentences from English to Arabic, make sentences and questions we didn't know the meaning of.

Most boys in my class cannot say "the bird is sitting on the tree" in Arabic, and they expect us to write compositions. Futhermore the GCC teachers are horrible. Ours can't speak English AT ALL (he talks to us in Hindi, that too broken up but better than the English). In my last school we had female Arabic teachers who used to hit you with a steel scale (my, my, I wonder whatever happened to that Ministry rule).

And as if that wasn't enough, we got a picture composition without the picture in our exam this term! It was quite funny, The questions went like this:

Where is the bird? What is she doing? Where is the bird now? What is the boy doing?

*Note: They didn't correct that mistake and all of us lost 5 marks on that question. Its all our fault, of course. We should have memorized the pictures in our textbook.

I hope the Ministry sees the plight of us students and gives us some better teachers. 'Till then, I pray that I pass next term and they don't introduce some other ridiculous rule making the subject compulsory for Grade 11&12 also.

3 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger DubaiTeen said...

You lucky kid!

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Al Sinjab said...

It's too bad your teachers are so horrible but I think you're so lucky to have the lessons. I was thirteen when I moved to Emirates and they said I was too old to take Arabic. I really wish I had gotten the chance to improve my arabic beyond a few simple words and phrases. And Arabic isn't offered at many universities, at least in Canada. I'm jealous of you!!!

Goodluck with exams! ;)

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lucky


Arabic Classes In Dubai

 

Post a Comment

<< Home